Thursday, April 9, 2009

Visitors

We have had visitors.

First, a good friend and relation came to visit, for fun and exciting reasons. This distant relative, let's call him Albert, in spite of being a decent, educated, intelligent male, has remained single these many years. It has been a sore trial to his mother. Well anyway, recently Al met a girl over the internet. And they liked each other. And things were going well enough via chat that they decided to meet in person. And she lives pretty close to us. So Al stayed in our spare bedroom nights, and hung out with her days, for three days. Or at least that's the report. We didn't actually meet this girl. Or see much of Al. But he told us that the meeting went well and he still likes her. Woo woo! Go Al!

Now Al is back home and he has some serious thinking to do. But if his mom is reading this and she hasn't heard the story from him, I just want her to know that it is Al's story. And Al's mom, if Al didn't want to share this much info with you then I respect that. Anyway, it's not really your Al I'm talking about. I'm talking about some other distant relative who met a girl over the internet. And stayed in our other spare bedroom this weekend.

After Al packed up, we dumped his sheets in the washing machine and started over. A work colleague came to stay with us while she was in town, to give an invited talk at my department. It was a nice visit. We ate vegetarian food with her for dinners, and shared family routines. During the day, she took breaks to escape campus and find coffee. And yes, at least one coffee shop does exist in my town. She was highly intrigued by religious life around Good Old Dude's university, and we had many long talks about health and divorce rates and women and all sorts of religious topics like that.

Actually, since taking the job here at G.O.D. U, I've had many long talks about religion with colleagues. It's kind of interesting, and I've thought of posting something along those lines before. Now that I'm openly affiliated with G.O.D., people want to know why, and how that changes my life, and what kind of a weirdo I really am.

The correct answer is, I am a tall weirdo.

Also, said colleague really likes my local grocery store and the produce prices, and is considering converting so she can get a job at G.O.D. University and shop at my market. Of course, we currently have a hiring freeze, so it will be at least a year before that option is available. So she's in no rush.

Al's mom, on the other hand, is in a rush. But maybe this time, Al's mom, this will be the one for Al. Maybe. I bet we'll know one way or the other within the year. And if you come to visit, you can shop at our market.

3 comments:

Letterpress said...

This sounds like a sequel to Dave and Elizabeth, only not the part about meeting him on the internet... just the mother-worried-anxious part. It worked out.

Mark and Emily said...

Hah! I actually know who Al is and I'm certainly rooting for him!

Laura Dee said...

I was wondering how Al's visit went. His Mom will be thrilled.