Thursday, April 2, 2009

First grade

Jonathan is going to be turning five in not very long. Here in the U.S., in particular in the town of P-o-o, that means he is eligible to start kindergarten in the fall. This Friday is kindergarten registration.

But I don't want to send my little boy to kindergarten. I think he needs to go to first grade.

Ah, you say. You are one of those mothers. One of those pushy ones who thinks their child is too good for kindergarten and needs to skip ahead. And we all know what happens to the children of those types of parents. They are whiny and tiny and never fit in with their peers. By the time they are eight years old they are burned out and/ or rebellious, and come home with multiple piercings and tattoos. Those children.

But like one of those mothers, I still think I'm right. In fact, Tim and I think that we actually have a six year old living in a four year old body. Somehow his body is on superdrive. It doesn't work with the typical calendar. He has aged beyond his four years. In fact, now I'm worried that he'll keep aging in hyperspeed, and be old and decrepit 20 years earlier than most. Under those circumstances, shouldn't we move him up in school to match his body? Pack in all the living we can while we can?

Here is my evidence that he is six in disguise.

1. Jonathan is taller than all four year olds, most five year olds, and many six year olds.

2. We purchased lots of size 7 clothing for him in December. He hit another growth spurt in the last two months, and now the size 7 clothing is getting too small.

3. He reads at about a 2nd grade level. I'm actually making that up because I don't know how a second grader really reads, or what 2nd grade level would be. But it sounds impressive when I write it assertively.

4. He likes school. Traditional school. He likes to get 100% on spelling tests. He likes filling out worksheets. He is proud of his worksheets and likes to show me all the cool things he does in school. Like fill in blanks and add and subtract.

5. He is currently in kindergarten, and his teacher tells me often that she forgets he is a year younger than the others. He fits in mentally, socially, and physically.

6. His six year molars have grown in already. And his front tooth is loose. I, however, lost my first tooth when I was six.

This became a blog post today because I took Jonathan to the dentist this morning. First the hygienist and then the dentist looked in his mouth, looked up surprised, and asked him again just how old he was? His permanent teeth are coming in a year early.

So even his dental work indicates that he is ready for first grade. Who is going to argue with a dentist? I have never argued with a dentist. I have argued with lawyers and teachers and mathematicians and policemen and politicians. But I have never argued with a dentist. At least not while in that dental chair with his hands stuck in my mouth and that sucking thing hanging onto my lip. Nope. No possible way to argue with a dentist.

Therefore, Jonathan needs to go into first grade next year.

Now the trick is getting him into first grade.

I called a private school and told them he would be starting first grade, and did they have an opening? We're going to tour the school, particularly the first grade, Monday morning. Maybe I should bring up the birthday discrepancy during our visit. Or should I?

I called the public school and told them that by some problem with the calendar, my son was scheduled to be held back in kindergarten next year. The woman I spoke with was friendly enough and said that they could test him in August to see if he is ready for first grade. Can I risk not knowing where he's going until August?

I would like to pull the school administrators all together, set them into comfortable reclining chairs, put some pointy metal scraping thingies in their mouths, maybe throw in a drool sucker for good measure, and then tell them that Jonathan is going into first grade next year. I betcha they wouldn't argue.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

He sounds ready to me. I have similar issues with Ani and school. She missed the cut-off by a couple months, but she could have been in K this year and been very happy and comfortable and with all her friends. I considered trying to push it, but our elementary school said the only way they could even consider it was if she had already completed K at an accredited, certified, whatever school and was ready to go into 1st gr. We'd have had to fork out mucho moola for private K at the catholic school and then try to get her into public 1st gr in the fall. Ugh. Decided not to.

Well, you didn't need to hear all that, but it sounds like if your boy is already in kindergarten he should have no problems getting into first grade. Or you could home school him (Ha, Ha! -- tried that one, too! Lasted all of one month...)

Good luck. And BTW, I'm glad you didn't grow up to be a dentist. Or at least not MY dentist!

Tiffany said...

You've convinced me, that's for sure. And you didn't even need any dental equipment.

Equinox said...

The social aspect would be the only thing I would be concerned about, but if his current teacher can recommend him for a year ahead, then that's good proof. Maybe you can contact the public school's kindergarten teacher (or one of them), have them meet him, and find out what they recommend. Those at our school had reading material and other stuff that they have each kid go through before the new school year to see what level they're at and what they need. They also took time to talk to the kid personally to get to know them. Tell them what his current Kindergarten teacher says (maybe she can write you a letter for documentation) about the aspects you mentioned and see what they say. I'm not sure what test the school gives, but if it's before school in August, that might not be bad. Anxious to wait for, yes, but it may be worth it. Definitely something to get more details about. Then they'll see for themselves. Good luck! Welcome to school!

Laura Dee said...

I'm sure you are right--you know him best. You should get letters from everyone--his teacher, dentist, doctor, and maybe even one from some world-renowned Math professor from a nearby U. Create a portfolio. If you were down here, you might have an even harder time convincing public schools to change their policies. At least don't try asking our elementary school secretary for exceptions to the rules.