Monday, February 16, 2009

Love, true love

[This idea for a post went around some blogs I read last February, in 2008. I wrote up my answers then, but never published them. With a few modifications, I have a perfect, pre-written post for February 2009.]


1. What's his name? Tim.

2. How did you meet? We met as freshmen in our first class in college. We then had several classes in common for several years. We just couldn't avoid each other.

3. How old is he? In that first class, as freshmen, he arrived sporting a full beard. I remember being surprised at myself for thinking he was cute -- I had never found men with beards attractive before. I also remember thinking he must be really old, to have a beard and all. The thought was along the lines of "gee, now that I'm in college, there are really old people in my classes." Turns out he is actually only two months older than I, which would have made him 18 at the time. Some men are blessed with hair, and some are not.

4. Who eats more? I do. A lot more.

5. Who said I love you first? I don't know. I said it last, though, so I am ahead.

6. Who is taller? Me, by two inches. I also weigh more, last I checked. We are totally non-traditional. I recently laughingly told this to my visiting teaching companion. She got a concerned look in her eyes, thought a minute, then said she knew of another couple in which the wife was taller when she wore heels, but the relationship was just fine. Yup. Just fine. Tim and I laughed a bit at that one. We have forgotten that we're supposed to care.

7. Who can sing better? Me.

8. Who is smarter? Last time I played Nintendo, I was sporting a brain age of 20, compared to his 23. That means Nintendo thinks I am smarter.

9. Who does the laundry? We both do the laundry. I did it last. He did it the time before that. Neither of us likes to get around to actually folding the laundry.

10. Who mows the lawn? We don't actually own a lawn mower. It's February. Why should we? However, we both shovel the snow off the driveway. Yesterday, when we got another six inches of snow, Tim was the guy with the shovel, as I have a sniffle. (*sniffle*) The time before that, it was both of us, early in the morning, running late, flinging snow as fast as possible. Stupid winter.

11. Who pays the bills? Tim tracks the finances. He likes to watch his stock options. During these economic times, it's like deep sea diving.

12. Who cooks dinner? I do. See number 4. I am much hungrier sooner. Neither of us likes to cook much. We had a deal when we got married that we'd take turns -- every other day. That was a long time ago. Tim still cooks, but it's more like once a week than every other day. Oh well. For revenge, I cook things like vegetables in my meals. Also, to his credit, I should note that Tim washes the dishes more frequently than I.

13. Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? I do. It's the side nearest the bathroom. Better for everyone that I stay over there.

14. Who drives? I drive Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Tim drives Tuesday and Thursday, and weekends, if required. I was driving five of seven days, but I negotiated for some walking days to keep me healthy. This was before I knew about inversion. Even so, I love my Tuesdays and Thursdays.

15. Who is more stubborn? Well, we both made it through graduate school with terminal degrees. No one gets more stubborn than that. No one. Except possibly Jonathan at bath time.

16. Who kissed who first? I do remember our first kiss. We were both there. Participating. Wait -- wouldn't that be a bad thing if only one party was kissing?

17. Who asked who out first? We never really went out on traditional dates. A couple times during our early years of friendship we made special plans to hang out away from our standard meeting places. For example, I remember vividly the one time I asked him to a church function. It was deeply embarrassing and some of you are laughing because you know the story. But the rest of you will just have to shake your head in confusion because I'm not ready to post that one on the internet yet.

18. Who proposed? After spending nearly every day together as seniors in college, we moved to grad schools three time zones and 3000 miles apart. It didn't work. Plus the phone bills were huge. There was nothing for Tim at my university, so I started filling out applications for grad school at his. In November I left Northern Wasteland University and flew to visit him in green California. At that time, I made the decision that whatever happened with my application, I would be moving in with Tim as soon as the academic year was over. So I told him he would marry me that summer. Tim has no memory of this. He prefers to remember the official proposal in December that involved the knee and the ring. So the short answer would be, Tim.

19. Who has more friends? Tim. He is friendly, attractive, funny, kind, generous, and intelligent. He makes friends easily. Whereas I am stubborn, hungry, and tall. And make him do the dishes and the laundry.

20. Yes, but who writes the blog? I do. So I get to tell it my way.

I love you, Tim. (See -- I'm ahead again!)

4 comments:

Troop 152 said...

Men with Bunderson genes cannot be resisted.

Laura Dee said...

What a fun read! My building laugh finally erupted on 19 & 20.
L

Letterpress said...

Mahvelous, esp the kissing one.

Thora said...

Mmm, I don't know about the height difference. I once knew a couple where the woman was taller than the man. She also dragged him all over the globe for her job options. AND she made him live in a small town in Utah, and then had the audacity to not even name their home after a Pub. So you had better watch out what will happen to your relationship.