Sunday, July 8, 2018

Singapore

I have been traveling a lot, and not keeping up with the pictures and adventures here on the blog. I'm now on vacation, and I plan to spend some time catching up.

I think we left off just after Okinawa, Japan. I flew home from Okinawa, spent a little over a week with the family, then packed up again and flew to Singapore.

Today's post: Singapore.

I had never been in Singapore before. I decided to stop there on my way to Europe, because flying to Europe from Australia requires about 24 hours of time on an airplane, split into two long long flights. Last time I stopped in Dubai. This time I decided to stop in Singapore, and spend a couple of days.

In any case, Singapore is a lovely city. I visited a colleague on Friday during the day. That evening I went to the Gardens by the Bay and took pictures.




I was traveling with a student. On Saturday, we checked out of our hotel around noon, then took a train to Little India for lunch. I had what was probably the best Indian food I've ever eaten at a random restaurant there. I took a picture so I'll be able to find it again the next time I fly to Singapore.

After Little India, we headed to the botanic gardens, which were lovely.

Pause here while I insert some pictures from the botanic gardens.

First, this huge lizard walked right out on the sidewalk in front of us and really scared me! Apparently they have huge lizards just wandering around in the sticky heat in Singapore.


Some lovely tropical botanic garden views. 

But we were right on the equator, and the temperature was about 30 degrees Celsius, and the humidity was about 90 percent. We were really hot, and totally soaked in sweat within half an hour. Our plan of spending the rest of the day in the gardens did not seem so great anymore.
So we returned to the hotel, and I hopped in the hotel pool for a little while before heading out to the airport. The hotel pool was very lovely. No pictures, unfortunately, but visualise turquoise blue on the top of a building in a tropical paradise.

Unfortunately I had no towel, so after a really nice swim, I attempted to air dry myself. And packed the wet swim suit into a plastic bag. And then took a taxi to the airport and let all of it moulder for a 14 hour overnight flight to London. Followed by a flight to Marseille, France. (Yeah, the swim suit didn't smell great by the time I arrived, but it cleaned up just fine, so the swim was totally worth it.)

The end for now.

No comments: