Saturday, June 6, 2020

Writing during global crises (plural)

It's hard to write the kind of funny, light-hearted blog post that I want to read right now, when it feels like the world is ending.

Global pandemic. Serious shortages of funds in my industry. Layoffs starting, expected to get worse. Rioting at home. Violence. Injustice all over the world, including here.

Jonathan went back to school a couple of weeks ago. The first couple of days he wore his mask all day at school. Lately he has just been wearing it on the public transit to and from. Not much social distancing at school, he says, but the school has been better about moving kids outside during breaks, keeping their hands clean and sanitised. I guess for now this is normal.

And a lot of things haven't changed. The laundry still needs to be done. The dishwasher emptied. Shower. Eat. Sleep. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

It's winter here again. Early sunset, chilly mornings. Last year I was careful and efficient with the heat, turning it off while at work and overnight. This year, I'm paying the extra in utility bills to be snuggly warm during all my online meetings. See? Not all is bad. Not all.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Such a strange new normal. We are gearing up to teach remotely again, but from school this time. I still can’t believe this new reality we have.
EM