Sunday, April 1, 2018

Out and about

Happy Easter weekend.

Last Friday, Good Friday, was the second most major holiday in Australia. There are only two days per year that certain museums, shops, etc close. One is Christmas. The other is Good Friday. (Not Easter.) We all had the day off. And we get Monday off as well. Jonathan's school holidays have now started, and he gets two weeks away from school. I have one week of semester break, then one final week of teaching, and then I hand off the lecturing to someone else for the second half of the semester. That's another crazy thing that happens here: half semester teaching gigs. It's convenient though, because I'll be attending a big pile of conferences in the second half of the semester, and I don't have to find substitutes for teaching.

So what have we done with our few days of freedom?

We talked about booking a car and driving somewhere, but the roads out of town were expected to be busy. And it sounded more fun and relaxing to hang out at our house with a big pile of novels and just read through the weekend, taking occasional breaks for fresh air and walking. So that's what we've done. So far, I'm 3/4 of the way through a trilogy. And I've walked a few times around the park out the back. Yesterday we took a tram to a different park a little closer to the central business district, and walked around it for a change of scenery. Here is a picture of Jonathan against different scenery.


It was sunny -- a warm and lovely autumn day.
Yes, Jonathan really is that tall.

And a fuzzy picture of me near one of the park's water features.

Today, Tim and I walked to the Botanic gardens. This gorgeous tree was covered in large pink flowers -- in autumn. I couldn't find its name. Anyone know what it is?





And this one was called a dragon tree.
I love the botanic gardens. Probably one of my favourite places in this entire city. I'm happy to be able to walk there on a quiet Easter weekend.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weather looks gorgeous!

How tall is that boy? My goodness!

Enjoyed talking to part of you on Easter.

Love.

KP

Equinox said...

Lovely tree! I don't know what it's called, either, but the big pink flowers give it a fantastical flair. Love the sun!