Thursday, September 5, 2013

Three new year's resolutions

It's a whole new year at work!  And because I'm spending the year on a research leave, I have a little more time to do something new and different.  

These are the new and different things I plan to do:

1.  Learn something.  A student suggested a reading course on a book I've always wanted to read.  Since I have the time, I agreed to sponsor the course.  Another group will be reading a different book on a related topic.  Since I have the time, I plan to attend.

2.  Be a better mentor.  I've got six students working for me, which is kind of a lot.  My goal is to figure out how to get them to mentor each other, actually, with more senior ones taking the junior ones under their wings.  Sounds great, eh?  In real life, one of my undergraduates, who came highly recommended, stopped by my office today and said she wanted out.  She didn't think she would have the time for my research project after all.  Reader, she has been on the job for less than two days.  I told her to give it another week.  

3.  Finish the three papers I have in draft form.  Might I possibly get them submitted by December?  One of them yes.  Two of them maybe.  Three of them?  Seems unlikely.  But it would be really great....

That's all.  I only want to do those three things.  


No comments: