Thursday, March 29, 2012

Packing for Paris in Spring

I am at a conference in Paris this week. (I know, hard life.)

This trip, I had a more difficult time than usual time figuring out what to pack.  Because, you know, I would be in Paris.  In the spring.  And in Paris, I don't want to look like a stupid American.  I want to blend in, like the natives.  Camouflaged.

But what do Parisians wear in Paris in the spring?  To conferences?

Tailored trousers, shimmery button up shirts.  A cashmere sweater if it gets chilly.  Black leather boots.  A fine black handbag.  Unique accessories.


What am I going to do?  I don't have anything like that in my closet!

***

In the end, I packed myself a quality pair of jeans and a few cotton button up shirts.  Boring but comfortable shoes.  Back pack instead of handbag.  Reliable watch and prescription glasses instead of unique accessories.  A couple of pony tail holders.  It didn't even occur to me that I might want a little makeup.

I shouldn't have been concerned.  I'm at an academic conference.  When I showed up and looked around the room, I realized that everyone was dressed just like this:


Just like me.

***

By the way, that guy in the cotton button up shirt and jeans?  There at the board he is claiming something very remarkable and even historic.  I will not say what it is, nor allow my colleagues to put technical, google-able words in the comments, because this is a personal blog and I don't want my colleagues all over it -- at least not more than those who have already found it.  (I'm happy to have you here, btw.)

But anyway, very important result announced at this conference.

And, um, yeah.  This afternoon?  I gave the talk just before his.

Since I couldn't compete with that result, I should have at least tried to wear a more fashionable outfit.  Seriously.  This is Paris.


2 comments:

Veiltender said...

In my field (which is, of course, known for its conservatism), tweed is de rigueur for conferences. Ties are optional, but Oxford chic still rules.

By the by, I am adjuncting at G.O.D. University this summer, and bringing Thora and the kids--it would be fun to get together with your family then.

Letterpress said...

I love watching the fashion blogs/columns after all the fashion shows. What's really fun is to look backwards about 5 years and notice that what was hot five years ago is what has showed up in our department store. And which I hate. So I wear old clothes, or clothes I can order from a magazine: T's, basic black pants, but I do have quite the wardrobe of cardigan sweaters, in many permuatations and weights. Heavier for our "winter" and lighter for when the temperature in my classroom hits 80 degress--which it does in the first weeks of fall semester (when it's 100 outside). It feels really odd to be wearing sweat-proof clothes in September, when I know you are all into much more temperature garb.

As far as what the guy is saying? No clue. I'm hoping your talk was smooth, and that you got some great questions. Welcome home. And just so you know--we all hate you because you got to go to Paris. But come to the Fam Reunion in May anyway--if you can stand it.