Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Apricots!

I picked apricots off our tree for 15 minutes this evening. My big bowl was full. So I came inside, washed the fruit, put the mushy ones into a bowl for fruit leather, put the greener ones into a bowl for ripening, and put the rest into quart bottles for processing.

15 minutes of picking. Total yield: 7 quarts now in the canner. 4 trays of fruit leather. One medium sized bowl of greenish fruit still to go.

You can't even tell I pulled anything off the tree.

And Tim picked for a half hour earlier today.

This is a major problem with fruit trees. The apricots are all ripe Right Now, and there are a billion of them. Last week they were too green. Next week they will be too soft and rotten. Oh what shall we do with our evenings this week, friends?

PS - anyone local - you are welcome to all you want. Come and pick them. You can borrow our ladder, but bring your own bowl.

1 comment:

Letterpress said...

I remember when you mother came and picked all my lemons, thinking that they were like apricots--that you had to get them off the tree NOW.

They're not. But I had three huge containers full of lemons after she was done. The upside was that the tree really produced wonderfully that next year, perhaps because it had been stripped bare of fruit. I guess I should try that again sometime, but do I like being able to go out and get a lemon off the tree when I need it.