Saturday, April 17, 2010

Three random facts about me

1. I like to write short (usually 1 paragraph) reviews for all the books I add to Goodreads. Every one of them. Because for me, it's much more fun to read about why you liked/disliked a book than just the fact that you liked or disliked it. And if it's more fun for me to read the whys for you, then it's probably more fun for you to read the whys for me. And I think all of that last sentence was written with English words, but somehow on re-reading the words aren't sticking together into anything that makes sense. Unfortunately, those are the kind of reviews I typically write, too.

Oh, and I'm happy to be your friend on Goodreads, but if you become my friend, then my secret will be out. Then you will learn the sad fact that I read mostly escapist fluff and very little that is deeply edifying and enlightening. Because I like my books to be about two hours long. (There are exceptions, of course.)

2. Concentrating really hard on something usually puts me to sleep. I will close my eyes to better picture some sort of complicated problem in my head, and the next thing I know the problem has turned purple and is dancing across the sky. This is my usual indication that I am now asleep and I need to wake up and concentrate on the problem again if I'm ever going to solve it.

When I talk to my colleagues, most seem to confess to have the opposite problem (meaning in two of two conversations I have had where this has come up, my colleagues have confessed to have the opposite problem). The one guy today says that when he is really concentrating hard on a problem, his eyes open wider and wider and he can't sleep at all. And then the problem will invade his dreams.

He said he thinks my reaction (falling asleep) is probably healthier, and he may be right, but this guy also is a very good problem solver, famous in his tiny world of expertise. And I am not famous anywhere.

3. And speaking of falling asleep, over at Feminist Mormon Housewives, there has been a recent post prompting about a billion comments, many of which deal with getting kids to sit through a 75 minute church meeting. Apparently some parents can just tell their six year olds that they are expected to sit quietly with no distractions through that entire meeting and these beautiful children will do so.

But you know, I'm not one of those kids. If I try to sit quietly, I will fall asleep and start nodding into the lap of the person sitting next to me, provided I am sitting next to a person who is not in my immediate family. I sometimes start nodding into the laps of immediate family members, too, but they are much more likely to poke me back awake when this happens, whereas the random stranger is a little too creeped out to touch me.

Anyway, I have learned from experience that I will listen and absorb much more if I am doodling, drawing, coloring, doing anything with my hands. It was true in school, too. I had to take notes or I would fall asleep. No one has brought this up in the comments I have read over on that post (and I admit, I haven't made it through all 217 of them). But my physician friend has admitted to the same problem. She knitted through medical school. And now she knits in church. Some people concentrate better when their hands are busy.

4 comments:

Letterpress said...

To get through church I play with whatever kid is around me. That's usually a better idea than really listening and trying to follow the speaker for a multitude of reasons I won't go into if I want to keep my church activity level high. When I have my grandkids with me--that's way way better. But I'll do it with the baby in front of me, too.

I'd post this idea over there (where you found the idea) but you've frightened me too much. I'm no match for you modern women.
I expected my kids to endure the sacrament--meaning no toys, books, snacks or whatever until the deacons were back in the bench with their families. Then it was get everything out: snacks, books, quiet toys, which would all go back in again at the closing song. I had a separate church bag backed in my closet so the church bag stuff was Fun! New! and kept them entertained for 50 minutes. If it got to the point that it wasn't entertaining, then they were expected to grow up and stop goofing off and pay attention. Just like we expect of our husbands.

Letterpress said...

Okay, just to update so you don't think I'm a heathen. No kids around me today so I actually listened; we had two good speakers, good songs. A good day.

I read/scanned a lot of those posts over on the Modern Mormon Hysterial Mother site (I know, I know, but I couldn't resist) and I think much ado about nothing, really. There was a great article in the New York Times how we snack our kids to death nowadays. With the exception of health concerns (which really aren't that many), I think most children can manage a longer time without food. It's up to the Moms, but it seemed there was lot of fur flying around in those comments. Is that how it is now?

Equinox said...

Glad to know someone else has to take notes in order to stay awake/concentrate. Doodling helps, too. Admittedly, not all classes/lectures/etc. need this remedy, but there are times when I have to fight the battle to stay awake, and sometimes a water bottle and a box of Altoids aren't enough. ("Finally, a hand-out. How many words can I underline to make it look like I'm still awake?") Then you remember you're an adult and can actually stand up quietly in the back of the room without the teacher yelling at you to sit down and pay attention. (Sometimes those two things do not go together.)

The weirdest note I got once asked that I allow a certain student to doodle during lectures. Really. They felt they needed a note to allow him to doodle. I was disturbed to think that the reason was that other teachers would or had reprimanded the kid, telling him to put his drawings away and pay attention. (Seriously, hadn't they ever paid attention to us adults in meetings? How do you think we stay awake half of the time?) Besides, it's interesting to see the doo-dads that decorate their papers. Then you can comment on them and they'll draw you more. And they become a nice treat to fine in that big stack of papers to correct.

Alyssa said...

at work, I play solitare on my blackberry to stay awake during long conference calls. A partner caught me once and tilted his blackberry my way to reveal he plays sodoku and has since tried to convince me of its superiority. I told him it requires to much of my brain and that is why solitaire is perfect - effortless!