Monday, April 19, 2010

Reconnecting

Every now and then you need a good excuse to reconnect with people you love. Today, it was my cousin leaving on a mission to Brazil. The cousin, age 19, has been living with his parents, four houses down the street. My extended family descended upon our city and we had some good catch up time.

In attendance were my aunts and uncles who don't live that far away, but far enough away in our busy lives that we don't see much of each other. In fact, time and busy-ness seems to separate my family even from the aunt who lives four houses down, and we go months without reconnecting.

My aunts and uncles are the same crazy people they were 20 years ago, only a little grayer and maybe just a bit thicker around the middles. And they don't have as many children and teenagers attached to them as they did 20 years ago. Today they all came as couples, the children having grown and moved away and disappeared into their own busy lives. The 19 year old must be the last to go, although I lost track of that when I grew and moved away and disappeared myself years ago.

Six of these relatives came to my adult Sunday school class, and offered comments and jokes and made it a happy place. And then we all moved a block west to where the cousin gave his talk, and finally finished up the afternoon with piles of food the relations brought from from their parts of the state. We sat in the shade in the spring and talked and laughed and reconnected.

We need more excuses to reconnect. I love these people.

2 comments:

Letterpress said...

Glad it was a good day. Sorry we couldn't bring our homemade biscotti and join you all. I would have loved to have been in your SS class!

Alyssa said...

I love those family events. Probably because I live so far away and don't have the opportunity to attend them very often. My sister finds them irritating because she lives close and there are still lots of young cousins that she finds irritating (may she never have a teenager in her home!).