Thursday, March 11, 2010

Answering yesterday's questions

So. I've been thinking about why schools need to have dad-only days, and I've come up with a billion reasons besides the fact that dads are dumb heads.

1. I live in one of the most socially conservative places in the US. Many local boys are probably raised to think that if they can buy the family nice toys, that's all the parenting they need to worry about.

2. But it's not. Not really. And so it would be nice to tell this to any dads who will listen.

3. Or maybe the dads realize this themselves. Maybe they watch their precious, bright, thoughtful children grow up and realize that by shutting themselves out of the lives of these children, they're missing out on so much happiness....

4. And so they want to be a part of their children's lives, and want to learn how!

5. And so they start attending these breakfasts for dads.

6. And they meet other dads who want to be there for their children. And now they have a support group.

7. And role models. Don't forget role models. Because there may or may not be any good role models in the typical dad's life.

8. And it's probably nice to hang out at a school function where they aren't the only dad, or at least where they're not in the minority.

9. And I will support that.

So I guess my only remaining complaint is that we have such low standards and expectations for fatherhood that dads need their own special breakfast. Kind of makes you wonder....

5 comments:

Thora said...

I don't think that being in conservative area necessarily means that Dads aren't involved in child rearing. I do think that you live in an area with predominantly stay at home moms, who see their kids all the time. Therefore, perhaps they're trying to foster Dad and child relationships, since they assume that the Dads see their children less than the Moms do. (Not that SAHM don't need parenting advice more than Dads do....)

Tiffany said...

I loved these last two posts so much.

Letterpress said...

Roll models? Does that mean they are baking bread too and the Moms are shut out? Protest!!

Artax said...

Ha ha ha ha. I *wish* they were baking bread! Ok. Going in with the ol' dictionary to fix the speling.

Anonymous said...

I would totally go to a breakfast like that. I love breakfast. And I could tell all the other dads about these snowmobiles I just got, and then we could high-five each other. Right? Right?