Thursday, June 4, 2009

The incredible shrinking size

A certain woman I know has owned a certain skirt for over 10 years. She bought this skirt at Old Navy over a decade ago, and it still fits quite well and still looks good. It was a pretty standard style skirt, so she still wears it occasionally. It's a size 10, Old Navy brand.

The other day this woman and I went shopping at Old Navy, and she was trying on pants. She found that size 8 drowned her. Size 6 drowned her. She now wears size 4 in the Old Navy brand.

So the size 10 skirt from ten years ago fits her perfectly. The size 4 jeans from today fit her perfectly. In the last 10 years, she has shrunk six sizes without changing body shape at all.

And what does this mean for those of us who don't fit into any of the sizes in stock in the store? Lots of unnecessary shipping fees as we order and then return. One more reason I hate women's clothing.

3 comments:

Letterpress said...

That's why I sew. Which I haven't done in about two years, which is why I'm wearing all my old clothing, which is why I look the way I do.

Great post.
E.

Equinox said...

Hear Hear!!!!!! What's with the freak sizing anyway? Why can't they just tell me the waist size, like they do for the guys, and get it over with? Because no size 4s are alike, I have found. And I would love to find a pair of jeans that actually do fit at the waist and not anywhere below it. Glad to know someone else makes their own clothes for this reason!

Thora said...

I borrowed a skirt from my sister - that was a size 0 from the Gap. I normally wear a size 8-10. I don't think I've ever fit into a size zero - even when I was a kid. And you know, Gap is one up from Old Navy. So would the Banana Republic (the same company affiliate, but one up from that) have my size as a negative? Negative 2 maybe. Or maybe I would be a size six - in little girls.