Friday, March 13, 2009

Doom II

Below this post, there used to be a post about me feeling panic.

I felt panic on Tuesday.

Nothing has really changed since Tuesday, but today I am pretending the panic isn't there. Because if I pretend it isn't there, then it won't be.

It's true. I learned this trick in a yoga class. If you are feeling bad, you are supposed to smile. Pretending panic is not there is the same idea. And by the way, I'm smiling. (*HUGE GRIN*)

Also, I have been reading the book 1984 recently. In that book, the main character works at a job changing history every day. He simply goes back to the newspapers that reported the history and does a little rewriting.

I like that idea.

Today, I am rewriting yesterday's post. Panic? Me? Why would I feel panic?

No. I am calm. Serene. Peaceful. Content.

And while I'm at it, I am also thoughtful and kind and highly attractive. My house is clean, my marriage is perfect, my child is a genius, and I never fail to fold my laundry as soon as it leaves the dryer.

You read it here. It's got to be true.

2 comments:

Letterpress said...

Ah, the fabuloso Mt. Laundry. The only way I could beat that was to fold it right at the dryer. Yes, sometimes the whole clothes-laundry-thing would get backed up a bit, but it was better than swooping the piles of unfolded laundry off the bed at night.

I tried a little of that PPT as I drove home today from Barbara's house. It's working--sort of.

E.

*PPT: Power of Positive Thinking, with all apologies to whichever business guru made a mint off that old adage.

lenalou said...

I think the panic thing is normal once in a while. At least, I get it, so it must be normal, otherwise that would make me weird and messed up, and that would cause me stress, and panic...

And I totally believe in positive thinking, but I also believe that it's ok to feel less than positive sometimes. I think sometimes our culture expects us to be on a high all the time, and that's not realistic. Life is very up and down.

Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to be your therapist...