Sunday, March 1, 2009

Spring

Something about these climates with four seasons: the seasons change. Sooner than I had expected, too. The temperature has broken into the 50's every day this week. High 50's even. And the snow is melting. There's only one patch left on the lawn in the back yard.

We've been out in the back yard today. Tim trimmed some raspberry bushes. Jonathan colored bricks with sidewalk chalk. And I used the back door again and stood on the back porch again and watched them both and felt a little bit of awe, remembering that we have a back yard. And it's a nice back yard. Haven't been out there for a few months.

I guess Spring may come.

I mean, it's still February as I write, so I'm expecting at least a couple more snowstorms. But the darkness isn't as deep and early, and the temperature is pushing bearable. (Though not yet bare-able. Ha ha.)

And remember when you were little, and adults used to complain about how quickly time passed, and how quickly things changed, and how quickly children grew up? And you rolled your eyes, wishing so badly that you were 8, or 12, or 16, or 18, or 21? Or that it would be summer, or your birthday, or Christmas? And so much time was spent waiting for the seasons to change?

I guess one nice thing about living in a land with four seasons as an adult is that winter passes much more quickly than it did as a child.

I wonder if in a few months, other frustrations will have melted like the snow.


I'm flying to Michigan this week for work. If you are one of my Michigan stalkers, and you would like to meet for lunch sometime, leave an anonymous comment with directions to the restaurant. I'll come dressed in pink. You can't miss me -- I'm nearly six feet tall.

The temperature in Michigan is 20's and low 30's. So much for spring.

No comments: