Friday, January 23, 2009

Narcoleptic

Last week I attended four seminars. I fell asleep during three, and had to blink my eyes and cross my legs a lot to stay awake during the fourth. Worse: I also had a one-on-one meeting in someone's office. I was in a comfy chair. He started talking, and I started falling asleep there, in the one-on-one meeting. This is a problem.

Self diagnosis: Narcolepsy. I am narcoleptic.

Or on second thought, maybe it's just a sleep deficit. I hear you get those when you stay up too late at night and then rise too early in the morning.

I can't give up the early morning rising. That's my writing time.

But I don't particularly want to give up the late nights. That's the only personal time I get. Last week, for example, I spent my personal time reading everything that was checked in at the library by Shannon Hale. I quite enjoyed it. At least late at night.

But after falling asleep in a seminar again today, I have come to the conclusion that I cannot survive on only five hours of sleep per night. Or five hours of sleep for a few nights in a row followed by seven hours for a few more nights in a row. Alas, I'm going to have to start turning in by 9:30.

Goodbye, cruel world. I'm going to bed.

1 comment:

Laura Dee said...

I love everything I've read by Shannon Hale as well. See, you can stay awake for interesting reading and writing.
--L

P.S. We cancelled our home phone service and got a higher speed connection instead, so I'm looking forward to reading your blog more often.