Saturday, August 3, 2019

Machine

I am a machine.

You input to-do lists, and I output tasks.

Laundry.

Groceries.

Email Carolina.

Revise section five.

At the beginning of the year, I got myself a beautiful book with hundreds of empty lined pages, in which I would write down all the deep thoughts that occurred to me each day, for three-hundred and sixty five days.

I have been writing in my new journal every day. I take it with me to and from work. More than half way through the year, it is now full more than half full -- of to-do lists.

There is a to-do list for nearly every single day of the year.


26 June 2019 (Wednesday)
Send copyright form
Mark honours reports
Need to submit rejoinder today --
9am Christine
11am Dan
12:30 seminar lunch
2pm Seminar 


But very few deep thoughts. Occasionally I have written a thought:
25 Mary 2019 (Monday) (in the margin): "Project C: Should we drop it? I don't think it is adding much".

2 April 2019 (Tuesday) "Should celebrate submitting book. Maybe discuss over lunch tomorrow?"

I never did celebrate submitting the book. Because it didn't make it into a to-do list.

Today's deep thoughts: send seven emails. Change Jonathan's sheets. Return library books. And maybe give the machine a break from to-do lists for a while. It wants to sit on the couch and watch TV.



No comments: