Monday, January 2, 2017

My 2016

So technically, looking back, I have to pin the beginnings of my midlife crisis on the year 2014.

But it was a good midlife crisis, and slow forming and carefully thought out. By 2015, the exit plans were all in place.

And in 2016, those plans came fully to fruition.

Because it isn't worth having a midlife crisis unless you move your family all the way to Australia. And take two years to do it.

In 2016, I really started my new job for keeps, not for a brief stopover betwixt sabbaticals.

And one of the first things that happened in 2016 was that our permanent resident visas came through. We're very grateful to be able to live and work here in Australia long term. And to be eligible for drivers licenses, state health insurance, and all sorts of other things like that.

We found a really wonderful apartment in a really great location. 

And my child started attending a school that has been very good to him.

Professionally, I a lot of research articles appear in good journals. True, these were mostly articles that had been written in 2014 or 2015, but still their appearance was a good thing.

I realised all over again how much I really like the two people I spend most of my time with, although they argued more this year amongst themselves. I really like these two.

My health was good. No cavities in 2016, and even the gum disease that was supposed to plague me the rest of my life disappeared when examined by a new dentist. The migraines, while frequent, were almost completely under control.

We went on a really great family vacation.

I made new friends, in many places. Work. Church. I missed old friends. But it looks like I may have some semblance of social health going forward into the future.

I know that 2016 wasn't the best of all years for everyone, but I think I'll look back upon it fondly when I am old, and likely delusional about how great the past was anyway.

Happy new year!

No comments: