Saturday, August 13, 2016

Watching events in Rio from Australia

After going a year without owning a television, Tim went out and bought one. He hauled it home on the tram and plugged it in. I came home to footy on the screen. Followed by a Scooby Doo movie. Then early the next morning, Saturday Morning Cartoons! Ack!

The real reason Tim bought the TV was so that we could watch the Olympics. In theory. The time difference between Melbourne and Rio is a little awkward, though. The opening ceremony was at 6am on a Saturday. No one was up in our house. Since then, live events have started around 11pm, carried on throughout the night, and then finished up in the morning hours while I'm off at work. Prime time TV is while everyone is asleep in Rio. We get to watch a guy named Hamish show us the highlights of what happened. We saw all of team gymnastics wrapped into about five minutes. No talk, no special back stories. No nervous anticipation while we wait for the judges to post the scores. Just four events in a row -- bing -- bing -- bing -- bing. And here's who won. Ads. It was truly amazing.

So we've given up on TV for the Olympics. We log into our internet service provider's special online Olympics site, and find the event from 2am the night before that looks most interesting, and watch that. HDMI cable means the TV is still good for projecting the laptop screen.

It's different being in the south of the southern hemisphere during the summer Olympics. It's kind of cold here. It isn't debilitating cold. The grass is still a lovely green. The wattle trees are beginning to bloom -- they're supposed to be spectacular in yellow in the early spring, but we haven't lived here through a spring yet. I overheard a lady on the tram telling her mobile phone that it was "literally freezing here." But it isn't literally freezing. It hasn't dropped below freezing all winter, as far as I can tell, and it hasn't even really come close. But still, it's the kind of weather that makes you happy to curl up in front of the heater. To wear at least three layers, and fuzzy socks and slippers, and to keep an umbrella close at hand when out of doors.

It's not really weather for climbing 10m platforms in a speedo. 

So when we watched the synchronized diving a couple of nights ago, jumps and somersaults into the green pool, I found myself getting colder and colder and colder. And I really really envied those divers the hot tub.

The next time I watch diving in the middle of the winter, I want to do it from a hot tub. 

Swimming has been another favourite. The Aussies took two gold medals in swimming the first day, more than anyone else! I became a fan. We watched a women's relay race, freestyle swimming, a couple of nights ago, and the Aussies were way out in front as the last team member jumped in! Go Australia! But then that infuriating swimmer Katie Ledecky managed to overtake the Aussies and win the gold at the end. How frustrating! And then I realised that I am cheering for the home team, and home has changed.

My home has changed, and I am changing. And I think it's a good thing.

Go yellow and green!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found myself rooting for the Aussie swimmer against Phelps - but I think he came in 3rd.

Phelps is good - no question, but seems very arrogant.

Loved watching the gymnastics - USA team is great.

Of course, we get to watch at 7pm!

You should watch some of the Australian mystery series - they are really very good.

KP