Sunday, November 1, 2015

A thinky post

I taught Jonathan how to play War with playing cards today. We were trying rummy first, but that apparently had too many rules for a holiday in celebration of sugar, and there was a little too much excitement running around the house and attacking the family members.

"Can't we just play the rules?" begged dad. So when the round ended, and dad gave up and started making dinner, I taught Jonathan the classic two player card game. I taught him to play War.

Flip two cards. Highest card takes both. 

He wins.

He wins.

I win.

He wins. 

It's such an inane game that it needs a soundtrack, so I began singing lines from remembered Halloween songs of my childhood.

"If you're all alone in the country, and you're hiding in a ditch / just be bold, 'cause you've been told / there's no such thing as a witch..."

"Said one little ghost to another little ghost / a-haunting we will go..."

"How can that be a song?" asked dad. "That sounds like a fake song that someone made up. Where did you learn a song like that?"

Probably from my mother. My mother was once an elementary school teacher. She has a portfolio of corny songs for every holiday, including pseudo-holidays like George Washington's birthday and St Patrick's day.

And as we played War, the rhythm of the game made Jonathan sing.

"I win."

"I win."

"You win."

"I win."

So dad turned on his own music in the kitchen, Halloween noises. Screaming and creaking and noise.

"I win."

"I win."

"You win."

Scream....

"Said two little ghosts to another little ghost / oh come and join the fun..."

I win.

You win.

I win.

I win.

Jonathan won.

No comments: