Monday, November 14, 2011

November

Timothy is growing a moustache for Movember.  He shaved his beard, and is growing the hair back just on his upper lip, as part of a fund raising event his company is holding this month.  It is an interesting look for Tim.  Jonathan and I can't wait until December.

I stopped teaching Sunday school a month ago.  My new job is Relief Society pianist.  I didn't think I'd ever have that job again when we moved here.  I'm mostly happy to have it, because in theory, this is an easy job where I show up and play the well-known hymns the chorister has chosen.  But our chorister likes to choose tricky and/or unusual ones, which means I stumble around a lot.  And one of the reasons I thought I'd never get the pianist job again is that there are so many more talented pianists in this area -- more talented than me.  I envision a large group of women sitting at home, shaking their heads over the state of the Relief Society when their pianist can't keep up with the chorister.  Tut tut tut.  What is the world coming to?

The end of the semester is in sight -- so much so that I am contemplating the writing of final exams.  ... In addition to the writing of a couple of talks, a paper review, a journal article, and a bit of grading thrown in there for good measure.  Maybe the end isn't close enough.  Maybe it's too close for all that stuff.


No comments: