Thursday, September 8, 2011

Stress related

My gums were swollen this morning.  After several conversations with my dentist, I now know that for me, swollen gums are an indication of too much stress in my life.  It's actually pretty handy.  Everyone else has to walk around wondering if they are suffering from too much stress.  Me, I just run my tongue around my gums and I know immediately.  

So let's think for a minute about stress. 

Has it been a minute?  

My thought is that I don't deserve to be suffering from stress.  How can I be feeling stress, when my country is not suffering from catastrophic famine?  My family is healthy.  I have a good job that pays the bills on time.  I am happily married.  I am a member of the dominant race, religion, and sexual orientation in my neighborhood.  My accent matches their accent.  My life is a model of middle class harmony.  There is something selfish and deranged about a woman who suffers stress related gum disease while living such a life.  

And yet the gums are swollen.  

I need a therapist.  (Oh, and still looking for a good hairdresser, too.)


1 comment:

Letterpress said...

Yeah, I hear you. My life's pretty sweet too, but I get stressed (however no swollen gums as of yet). Maybe that's our 21-st century plague? Like locusts? Frogs? Instead we get Stressed. We need Charlton Heston and his wild hair and tall staff.