Monday, February 7, 2011

Things I didn't say

... to the lovely ladies in church today.

I didn't say that I have found good people and bad people everywhere we have lived. I have had neighbors who cared as much about our friendship or family, who did not wear the same labelled religion on their sleeve. Or didn't care as much, but did. Both.

I didn't say that I think grouping into us and them isn't helpful. We are all us. And all them.

I didn't say that it isn't safe to pretend we live in a bubble, safe, as long as we don't let the wrong sort inside. What does that mean? If you knew me better, would I be the wrong sort? (Probably.) Which brings up the question: how do you know that the people in your bubble are the people you think they are?

Me, for example?

Perhaps I am just sitting quietly on the side, hands down, eyes wide, viperous thoughts inside. Wondering about your thoughts. And how to protect my children from your bubble.

I think you are all wonderful ladies, and good neighbors, and trying your best to be the best women you know how to be. And I admire you for it. But some of the things some of you say make my eyes grow a little wide (and my heart a little anxious).

Do you see that in yourselves?

Which brings up the much more important question: which behaviors do I not see in myself? Where do I stand on the wrong side of hypocrisy? On the dangerous side of naive? Where am I? And how can I recognize it?

Because often talking with you, I think that if I just ignore this beam, I can help all of you with your motes.

I didn't say any of that.

2 comments:

Mark and Emily said...

words of wisdom!

Letterpress said...

We used to have this sister in our ward who was always US v. THEM and how we had to keep all the evil people AWAY from us saints. Oh man--by the time RS was over I think my eyes were permanently rolled back inside my head. She then had a few humbling experiences (life happens) and she didn't say quite so much, and then she moved away (but I hear she's still torturing the people in her new ward). I recognize her as an archetype, to go along with all the archetypes in our religious community. You know--the one who can't talk without crying, the one who Knows Everything, the one who is the person you'll talk to because she keeps confidences, the one whose words are sharp as a knife, the one who can't say no, the one who'll never say yes. I love them all, now, although they used to bug the You-Know-What out of me.

I wonder what archetype I am?