Friday, September 17, 2010

Fall introspection

Fall is almost here again, and the mountains are splotched in red again, and the nights are colder again, and the apples are almost ripe.

We picked plums on Tuesday. The tree that, last year, rained down its bounty in bushels and bushels, this year produced only two large bowls of plums. Although I loved eating the fruit last year into the winter and spring, I am full of thanksgiving this year that I will not be spending every evening for the next month at the kitchen sink, gutting plums.

***

This morning, I taught the Intermediate Value Theorem. At one point in class, the students were all roaring with laughter. Over the Intermediate Value Theorem. The Intermediate Value Theorem? I looked at them, perplexed. Who were these people? It wasn't that funny.

Less than an hour later, I was waiting for a faculty meeting, while a colleague of mine was trying to get out of giving a presentation. He said he was unsuited to give the presentation because he was not as funny as 'Bob', who had given the presentation before. Then he looked around and saw me, and said, "Jessica is funny. She should give the presentation."

And then it hit me. I am funny. That is why the students were laughing at the Intermediate Value Theorem. They weren't drunk, because it was 10 in the morning at G.O.D. University. I must be funny. Not the Intermediate Value Theorem. Am I funny? Maybe I am funny.

I politely told the colleague that alas, I was busy, and then turned my rapt attention to the faculty meeting.

(Those students really were laughing pretty hard this morning. I must be funny.)

And contemplated a career change.

(How do you think the Intermediate Value Theorem would work as a stand up comedy routine?)

And focused on the future.

(Oh no -- Horizontal Asymptotes next time. There is no way I can make that as funny as the Intermediate Value Theorem.)

And my career in comedy was over before it began.

At least I know my colleagues think I am funny.

Wait.

Is that a good thing?

2 comments:

Frau Magister said...

"They weren't drunk, because it was 10 in the morning at G.O.D. University."

Heehee - I never appreciated that when I was teaching there.

Tiffany said...

I'm sorry that you're only now discovering it. But better late than never--you are FUNNY!