Sunday, January 31, 2010

Learning new things daily

Today, I learned that the library closes at 6pm on Saturdays. I learned this at about 6:27 pm when Tim pulled on the library doors in an attempt to help me enter and select some books for the family for the week. It was a disappointing lesson.

A few minutes later, after having redirected the family outing to the local market for produce, I learned that the Big Rivalry basketball game was happening tonight in my town. I learned this when traffic crawled to a stop on the road heading to the basketball arena/ grocery store.

Not all the lessons I learned today were disappointing. I learned that Jonathan is getting good at riding his bike. We both took our bikes to the church parking lot -- totally empty on a Saturday afternoon -- and rode in circles. He sang while he biked, humming in happiness. And as I followed him in and out of empty parking spaces, I remembered that biking can be done just for the happy feel of movement, not only for transportation.

I loved my son when he was born, but it was the ferocious instinctual love of a mother. I love my son now for all the same reasons, but also because he fills my world with so much light. His honest pleasure at spending time riding a bicycle in circles over the empty asphalt, just happy to be with me in the sunshine in January. The simple things that make him laugh -- and cry. Like Tchaikovsky with the volume cranked.

Today I laughed and told him, "You know what? I love you. I'm so glad you're part of our family."

And he smiled and said, "Me too." And I knew he meant it. And I meant it. And he knew it. And isn't it amazing?

And if that isn't sappy enough for you, then I don't know what to say. Except maybe check the library hours before leaving home. And the local basketball schedule.

That's all.

3 comments:

Mark and Emily said...

How sweet :)

Malcolm Purcell said...

Grandmas feel the same way!

Laura Dee said...

Not at all sappy to me--actually profoundly beautiful.