Monday, January 18, 2010

I've been away

I start with a title like that so that you will notice that I haven't been posting as much as usual. This way even if you didn't notice, we can both start out on the same page.

I have been away. Most recently, I've been at a conference staying in a pricey city in a pricey hotel with a nice view but no free internet. Come on, what am I paying for here? Who really needs a view?

For a couple days, I was suffocating without access even to the most standard bread and butter email. In fact, morning two of the conference I was awake, showered, and dressed in time to walk four blocks to a coffee shop to spend some leisurely time alone with my computer -- all this with sufficient time to make it to the 8am talk. And I don't even drink coffee.

After a few more days, I was doing better, and stopped fishing for free wireless during breaks in the conference center. And by the time I returned home, I was totally weaned of internet. I had absolutely no desire to read any of my email.

Now back to real life.

1 comment:

Letterpress said...

It's a weird feeling--how tethered we modern folk are to our beloved internet.

Welcome back.