Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Fortune cookie

Jonathan got a fortune cookie recently, with the following fortune:

If your desires are not extravagant, they will be granted.

After I explained what "extravagant" meant, and "granted", he started expressing desires.

Desire 1: A P.E. whistle to play with in the house.

Mom: Um, I think that's too extravagant.

Desire 2: A little mouse to run around the basement.

Mom: Way too extravagant. We don't want a little mouse running around the basement!

Jonathan, reading over my shoulder: Hey, that's not too extravagant!

Mom: ...

Jonathan: It's just in a little ball that would run around the floor.

Mom: I think you're thinking hamster ball, and a hamster is too extravagant.

Jonathan: Hey, no it's not!

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

I think you need to be clear with him; "not extravagant" means a shoe box. Tell him he can have a shoe box. That's what I would do.

(What a cutie you have!)

Letterpress said...

We have done the hamster AND the guinea pig routine. Vote for a hamster. Easy. And they have a shorer life span.

So, we also have a hamster grave in the backyard. And a guinea pig grave, but that's a longer story, complete with cowboy funeral.

Letterpress said...

I mean "shorter" life span, not shorer.

Laura Dee said...

With a crawling and putting-everything-in-the-mouth baby, I so regret the two parakeets. Don't do the hamster until he needs to earn a pet care badge. They stink anyhow. I got a mouse (just a feeder) when I was 10 that got away in our house. When we finally caught it, I had to bring it back to the pet store. Get him an electronic hamster-in-the-ball for Christmas.