Thursday, November 6, 2008

Anger management

Bedtime.

"Jonathan, can you please just hold still while I read this?"

He kicks my knees.

"Jonathan! Just listen!"

He pushes my legs off the bed.

"JONATHAN!"

"What?"

"I am NOT going to ask you again. Just settle down and listen or I'm going to close the book, turn out the light, and you can put yourself to bed!"

"Why?"

"Because I'm getting cross!"

Jonathan begins to sing:
"Just stop," (he holds out his hands) "take a deep breath," (he lifts his hands up) "and relax" (moves his hands back down again).

"What?" I say.

"Just stop, take a deep breath, and relax."

"Did you learn that in school?"

"Yes. When you are angry, your brain is in the back of your head and you think bad thoughts. You need to take a deep breath to move your brain to the front of your head where you can think happy thoughts."

I take a deep breath.

"OK, can we read now?"

"Ok."

Two seconds later: "Jonathan!"

"What?"

"Just stop, take a deep breath, and relax."

"No, I'm not going to do that. You need to do that. I'm not cross."

I stop, take a deep breath, and go "HONK!"

Bedtime erupts into a tickle battle.

Jonathan starts singing, "stop, take a deep breath, and ... HONK!"

Ah, bedtime without Daddy. Good times.

Oh, and sorry, Miss Dorie, for corrupting your song.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brain moves to the back of my head?!?!?! So THAT'S been my problem on these . . . odd . . . days!?! I had no idea I was actually moving my brain toward the happy thoughts during the many times I practice the stop breathe relax technique. That image just might give us a smile during the time we need it! Very cute. Thanks to your little man!

Thora said...

I hate it when children use their training back on you. Lydia likes to tell me whenever I want something, "maybe tomorrow." Good putting to sleep skills.