Sunday, May 30, 2021

Misc

As of Thursday morning, I am now eligible to get a COVID-19 vaccine. Tim and I have been calling the phone line to try to set up an appointment repeatedly since then. Most of the time we get a message that says due to large call volume, your call will not be taken. Once I got put on hold, but after 15 minutes, and reading online that I might be on hold for hours, I hung up: I didn't have that many minutes on my phone. We will keep trying. Put more minutes on my phone. Or call from work where calls aren't charged minute by minute -- when I can get back to work. 

The reason we are now eligible is that we've had another outbreak of community virus transmission. Before they identified the fact that less that a dozen people were infected, those people went to AFL matches at both of the major stadiums in Melbourne, went bar hopping, called people into work meetings at grocery stores all over the city -- there are tens of thousands of immediate first contacts to trace down. We're back to online work, online school for a week while contact tracers try to get a handle on things. And they've opened up vaccines to younger aged people to try to increase vaccination rates. 

The rates have increased.

I do feel like we are in a rush. This virus is still killing many people like us around the world. I want to be vaccinated and I want my whole family to be vaccinated, including my son who is still not eligible. But now I must be patient, I guess.

***

The other big thing that happened Thursday is that we took the keys to our new (to us) apartment. 

Now that it's ours, there are a few things we need to do to get it ready for us. But it is exciting to be able to measure things and make plans. 




No comments: