Sunday, August 9, 2020

In which I post pictures of bare naked trees

The first week of the semester has come and gone, and I think it went well, all things considered. I ran two lectures, online. I managed to switch between the meeting software, the online whiteboard, the polling software, the electronic textbook, and the classroom management software, in real time. Even if it wasn't always smooth. I managed to record the lectures. And then I managed to edit the recordings to cut out the dead space when the students were in breakout rooms. And then I managed to upload the edited videos to the online learning suite. Magic! I still feel an apple-sized lump of fear in my chest when I think about the fact that I have to repeat it all and teach again this week. On a new topic. But at least that lump isn't melon-sized anymore. With spikes on the outside.In other news, stage four lockdown in Melbourne, to me, looks a lot like stage three lockdown. Back in March, in our first lockdown, I shared lots of pictures of trees in autumn. Now I find myself taking lots of pictures of trees in winter.


In the photo above, the trees are conversing. See how they gesticulate? Elbows bent and fingers splayed? A whole row of gossiping old ladies.

In the photo below, the trees are dancing, arms raised to the sky, swaying with the music in the sunset.

Yeah. There isn't much for entertainment around here, besides trees.

If you look really closely, you can see buds on the trees. Winter only has three weeks left to do its worst, and then we'll be back into spring. Later sunsets. Warmer days. And maybe a retreat back to stage three or stage two. Which will look the same to me, I think. Except with the teenager in school in person again. And the option to tag along on the grocery run, rather than stay in the park and watch the trees. 

I can't wait. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your descriptions of the trees!
EM