Sunday, December 10, 2017

Whinging

In America, people who complain are "whining". In Australia or the UK, they are "whinging".

I would like to take this opportunity to do a little whinging.

I just flew 9 hours from Dubai to the UK. Before that, I spent 9 hours in the Dubai airport. Before that, I spent 14 hours flying from Melbourne to Dubai.

Just before I got on the first plane I got a note that my campus accommodation at my UK destination had been rearranged, and the day I had been planning to recover from jet lag I would actually need to check out and move across campus.

So I requested a late check out, and was told sure, you can stay in the one place all day. Phew.

Until I arrived.

There is some snow in the forecast for tomorrow, and the UK doesn't deal with snow.

Because of the snow, all conference accommodation will be shut down, and I will be thrown out into the street with all my luggage. I will huddle there in the driving snow, cold and shivering and miserable.


........
.......
.....

Well, actually it won't be that bad. I had plans to meet a colleague soon after noon anyway. If all else fails, I can take my luggage along with me -- I packed pretty light.

And for all the whinging, the travel wasn't terrible. I stayed in a hotel for many of those 9 hours in the airport in Dubai, and actually slept pretty well there, which means I'm maybe already almost on UK time.

But sometimes one just wants to do a little whinging.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not sure I have any words!


Be safe and warm.


Whining, no matter how you spell it can be good for the soul!

kp