Sunday, July 31, 2016

There is no outrage in this post.

These days, my social media websites are just page after page of outrage. Politics, racism, fear, hatred. It's kind of tiring. I'm tired of outrage and anger. I feel powerless against it. In fact, I've even stopped reading fiction if the primary emotion within the book is anger and outrage. I haven't made it through a popular recent sci-fi trilogy because the second book is anger-based. I get enough anger and outrage in real life. I can't take it anymore in my escapism. Love? Great. Humor? Beautiful. Sadness? Fine. Crippling depression and hopelessness? Wonderful. Just not anger. I'm tired of anger.

Today was the most beautiful warm winter day you could imagine. And The Boy downloaded Pokemon Go recently, and so he was the one to suggest a lovely long walk through the nearby parks. Tim and I let him direct the excursion. We got off the tram near a fountain and walked into the trees. We paused where he told us to pause, and walked where he told us to walk. Throughout, he kept close watch on his screen so he could catch Pokemon. And I took some lovely photos using my screen.

The players:
 Selfie with the "genie".
 Arts precinct.
 "Ok. Stop here for a minute."
 Edward VII. I think this may have been the one also known as "Scissor hands." Or maybe that was a different movie.
 "Stop here."
 Selfie with Miraggio.
 The outdoor music theater, in between shows.
 The trees in this city are gorgeous. I took about 70 tree photos. But I didn't upload them all. Did you know that in Melbourne you can write love letters to your favorite trees? The city has a website on which each urban tree has its own inbox. Love the trees.
 Did you know who invented the moment of silence? It was Edward George Honey, apparently. I didn't know that either.
 The sculpture honors friendship between Turkey and Australia, which is important because 100 years ago thousands of Australians died in Turkey in World War I.
 Daffodils in bloom.
 This is my selfie with Baron Ferdinand Von Mueller, distinguished botanist who founded the Botanic Gardens.
 But not all plants in the botanic gardens are friendly. There were a few signs posted letting us know that Death Cap mushrooms have been spotted. These mushrooms look benign, but they will creep up on you while you're sleeping and spray poisonous spores into your nose! I read poetry once about mushrooms inheriting the earth, and here we have it. There is fear in this post.
 Another gorgeous tree.
Oh, and one more.
Just one more.
And maybe another.
Last one, I promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim looks good in the leather coat. I like the trees too. Glad you are so happy there
but we miss all of you.

KP

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have gone on that walk with you!��
EM