Sunday, January 31, 2016

That Facebook game

This has been going around Facebook for a while. The idea is you get your child in the room, and ask them questions about you! I think this was actually made for 2-3 year olds, not 11 year olds. But I wanted to do it anyway. And I'm going to do it again when the boy is 21, and then 31, and then 41. And then I will stop, because it just won't be fun anymore.

I ask Jonathan the questions, he responds.

1. What is something I always say to you?
  "Bug."

2. What makes me happy?
  "Um. I don't know. Going to the park. Playing Pikmin."

3. What makes me sad?
  "Um. People dying."

4. How do I make you laugh? 

  "Um. By saying funny things."

5. What was I like as a little girl?

  "You were a nerd. Who did ballet."

6. How old am I? 

  "You are thirty ... nine?"

7. How tall am I? 

  "Uh, five foot ten?"

8. What is my favorite thing to do?

  "Play Clash of Clans."

9. What do I do when you're not around? 
  "I don't know, because I'm not around. You work."

10. What am I really good at? 
  "You are really good at ... going to work."
 

11. What is something I'm not good at?
  "You are not good at playing the clarinet."

12. What do I do for a job?

  "You are a mathematician."

13. What is my favorite food?

  "Uh. Asparagus? I don't think that's actually your favorite food, but you like it!"

14. What do you enjoy doing with me? 

  "Hmm. Talking."

Now my mom should call me, and I'll go through the game with her. In fact, maybe I'll do it even though she hasn't called. Pretend my mom is asking the questions, and I am responding.

1. What is something I always say to you?
  My mom always says to me, "It's nice to talk to you!"

2. What makes me happy?
  My mom is happy when she has a full collection of family around her.

3. What makes me sad?
  She is sad when we use that time, when she has a full collection, to argue with my dad about religion and politics. Too bad my dad has such terrible opinions on religion and politics!

4. How do I make you laugh?

  My mother makes me laugh when she says she is going to organize her basement.

5. What was I like as a little girl?

  When my mom was a little girl, she was smiley, and all black and white. She didn't turn colored until after her teenage years. There is proof of this in various photo albums.

6. How old am I?

  Sixty-seven.

7. How tall am I? 

  Five feet, six inches. 

8. What is my favorite thing to do?

  My mom's favorite things to do are to take naps, and long drives in the canyon, and to hang out with family. The best thing is when all three happen at once!

9. What do I do when you're not around?

  Campaign for Millcreek City. 

10. What am I really good at?

  My mom is very good at sewing. Also reading children's books to grandchildren. And tickling grandchildren. She is a good peacemaker. She is good at listening. Do you think that's because she has a masters degree in social work? Or because she raised eight children?

11. What is something I'm not good at?  

  Alas, my mother is not very good at ice hockey. She has never won a game.

12. What do I do for a job?
  Well, Mom, first you taught elementary school, but that wasn't much fun, so you finished the masters degree I mentioned above. After working a couple of years in the schools, you decided to grow your own school, and ran an unlicensed child care center for years and years. It was all legal, though, because the eight children were your own. Except that one German exchange student that one year. You were nurse, therapist, counsellor, teacher, taxi driver. Except I did a lot of biking and walking, and then taught myself to take the bus, so maybe you were less of a taxi driver than my friends' mothers.

13. What is my favorite food? 

   Mom, do you have a favorite food? You like to bake potato bread. There's a fish casserole that you seem to make often when I'm around. You do like ice cream. Tin roof sundae. A lot of the recipes I use came from you. A few years ago you went through your recipe file and turned it into a book for a Christmas present, and that was a great idea. I go to your book first when I don't have ideas for dinner.

14. What do you enjoy doing with me?

  I enjoy talking to you. I still value your opinion, even though my own opinions don't match yours like they did at one time when we both had fewer wrinkles.

So there you have it. That Facebook game.

No comments: