Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mothers' day

In England, Mothering Sunday is in March.  But in Australia, which continues its pattern of seeming more like the US than Britain, Mothers' day in May.  Just like in the US.

We had a lovely Mothers' day.  On Friday, Jonathan's school put together a breakfast buffet to say thanks to mothers.  The whole family was invited to come and eat, and the dads were invited to volunteer to help out.  We ate pastries, yogurt parfaits, mini quiches, and lots of fresh fruit.  And then Tim helped clean up when it was all over.  Nice!

In church today, all the ladies received a paper flower and cupcakes, courtesy of the primary.  Jonathan filled out a card for me:


It is a lovely card, although it has several inaccuracies.  It says, for one thing, that I am 38 years old, but I'm not really that old yet.  Also, according to the card, I spend most of my day on my computer.  That is not true either, unless I'm pushing to get a paper written.  And the little boy who wrote it also says he thinks the best thing I cook is pot roast, which is interesting, given the fact that the last time I made pot roast was several months ago in the US, and that same little boy didn't like it.  So the card may or may not have been filled in just because it needed to be filled in.  But the accompanying cupcake was truly delicious.  Truly.

It was a double holiday weekend for us, since Jonathan celebrated a birthday recently, and we had three rowdy little boys over to our house for a party last night.  Jonathan decided to cook them dinner, and he made French toast on his own with strawberries, bananas, and Nutella.  I think the party went well, except for the noise.  Luckily it only happens once each year.

Happy Mothers' Day to all of you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun weekend.
Didn't know JD could cook French toast. Glad the boys had fun.
Happy Mothers ay Jess.

KP