Sunday, October 16, 2011

Nebraska

...in October is gold and green and gray, and very lovely.  Yesterday afternoon, after I left the airport in Omaha, I drove west for over an hour.  My rental car had a Minnesota license plate and a massive blind spot on the left side.  I think, actually, all rental cars have massive blind spots, and hyper-sensitive brakes.  These are requirements for rental cars.

But anyhow, Nebraska in October is lovely.  UNL seems like a nice university, for those of you who, like me, are keeping track of nice universities.

A colleague tonight mentioned that he is trying to give a research talk in each of the 50 states.  So then I had to count.  Since 2004, I have given talks in California, Utah, Texas, Georgia, New York, Philadelphia, Michigan, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Oregon, Illinois, Tennessee, and now Nebraska.  I don't think I will try for all 50:  too far to go.  And honestly, who in North Dakota would listen to my talk?

Tomorrow I will drive east for over an hour, back to the airport, and back home (late), and back to work Monday morning.

Nebraska has been lovely.


1 comment:

Malcolm Purcell said...

We drove to Indiana once in the fall - October. All the midwest states were very pretty.