Sunday, February 21, 2010

February yard work

Late last summer, the yard was so overgrown on the west side that it was nearly impossible to climb through the brambles to harvest grapes. By then I was tired of having a yard, and weeding a yard and picking plums and apples and pears in the yard and trying to figure out what to do with all that fruit from the yard. So I gave up on the brambles. I told them, Fine. You win this round. But I will get you in the spring when I am stir crazy.

Well, it's not yet spring, but close enough. We've been stir crazy for a few weeks here. So this afternoon, after the morning dusting of snow had melted and the ground was soft, we all went outside. I found the leather gloves and the large and small branch clippers. And I took on those brambles.

And after three hours of digging and clipping and pulling, I got cold and came in. But the brambles, and the neighbors' holly from under the fence, are about half way gone.

Maybe next spring I will take on the other half.

No comments: