Saturday, August 1, 2009

Pipe cleaners

Aug 6: I wrote this a week ago, but never finished or published, because it is kind of pointless. And you know me -- everything on my blog needs to have a point. So now I'm publishing it, because I haven't written anything else for a week, and I am currently really tired of revising papers. OK, quick break over, Ee. I will now go back and continue revising the paper, I promise.

Some time ago, Jonathan took all the pipe cleaners from his craft bag -- and there were dozens of them -- and started twisting them all together into a long giant pipe cleaner. He attached it to one of those door knob hanger thingies, looped it over his closet doors, up around the bedroom door, and into the room across the side of the bed. Serious tripping hazard.

We asked him why.

He told us it was to keep people out.

Then he roped up an elaborate system of lights (pens with lights in them) to let us know when we could or could not enter his room. Red means out. Blue means ok.

Every single night for several weeks we have started bedtime by untwisting the pipe cleaners around the bed.

Every single morning for several weeks Jonathan has started the day by putting all the pipe cleaners back into place.

Do you think he's trying to tell us something?

1 comment:

Laura Dee said...

This put a smile on my face. Jonathan is ahead of his age in many ways, and I think this is another way.